Monday, May 09, 2005

Pat Robertson - Smiling Loon

The last time I was truly shocked at the news -- and I mean really shocked not the Captain Renault: "I'm shocked, shocked to find gambling is going on in here!" Croupier: "Your winnings, sir." Captain Renault: "Oh, thank you very much." -- was Jan. 6, 1994. That was when I turned on my tv and heard skater Nancy Kerrigan was clubbed on her right knee with a metal baton and was forced to drop out of the U.S. Figure Skating Championship. It turned out that a rival, Tonya Harding, along with her John Waters-looking husband, Jeff Gillooly, (didn't we use a "gillooly" to open stuck jar lids?), Jabba the Hut-looking bodyguard Shawn Eckardt and Shane "I hit girls" Stant, were behind it. I just have an "I've seen it all" attitude and don't typically get shocked about the news.

And then on May 1, 2005 it happened again. I turned on my tv and I was shocked. Shocked I tell you. There he was, Pat Robertson, on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos, with his toothy Cheshire cat grin implying a combination of being drunk and/or crazy claiming perhaps the looniest thing I've heard on a talk/news program. He said: "Over 100 years, I think the gradual erosion of the consensus that's held our country together is probably more serious than a few bearded terrorists who fly into buildings," Robertson said.

"I think we have controlled Al Qaeda," the 700 Club host said, but warned of "erosion at home" and said judges were creating a "tyranny of oligarchy."

When challenged on his claims that an out-of-control liberal judiciary is the worst threat America has faced in 400 years - worse than Nazi Germany, Japan and the Civil War - Robertson said "Yes, I really believe that, I think they are destroying the fabric that holds our nation together."

I immediately asked my father-in-law to come watch to see the nuttiest interview I had ever seen. He said his heart probably could take it and he might destroy his beautiful High Definition tv. I completely understand.

If this kook weren't worth a few dollars and was wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt rather than a suit you would probably find him involutary incarcerated in a mental institution. When you vote for the Republicans you are voting for a one-way ticket into Pat Robertson-world and while the sky may be blue in that world that future is black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com