Tuesday, July 12, 2005

It's only a flesh wound!

I would say it's hard to make this stuff up but you don't have to when it's reality just about every day with this administration. And this is the way it's going to be until people reject this type of nonsense the Republicans have sold the country. Until you stop stop buying it they'll keep selling it.

At a press briefing on September 29, 2003, White House press secretary Scott McClellan insisted President Bush knew that Karl Rove wasn't involved in talking to reporters about Valerie Plame.

Q: Let me just follow up. You said this morning that, quote, "The president knows that Karl Rove wasn't involved." How does he know that?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I've made it very clear that it was a ridiculous suggestion in the first place. I saw some comments this morning from the person who made that suggestion backing away from that. And I said it is simply not true. So, I mean, it's public knowledge, I've said that it's not true. And I have spoken with Karl Rove...

Q But how does --

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm not going to get into conversations that the President has with advisors or staff or anything of that nature; that's not my practice.

Q But the President has a factual basis for knowing that Karl Rove --

MR. McCLELLAN: I said it publicly. I said that --

Q But I'm not asking what you said, I'm asking if the President has a factual basis for saying -- for your statement that he knows Karl Rove --

MR. McCLELLAN: He's aware of what I've said, that there is simply no truth to that suggestion. And I have spoken with Karl about it.

WARNING!!! Please read the following while sitting in a soft chair surrounded by carpeting with no hard objects around you which you might hit on the way down as you faint. You may consider wearing a helmet for additional protection. The elderly, those with heart conditions or anyone who doesn't like to be lied to to their face shouldn't read the following...

From July 11, 2005 White House Press conference:

Question: Do you want to retract your statement that Rove -- Karl Rove was not involved in the Valerie Plame expose? -- involved?

McClellan: This is -- no, I appreciate the question. This is an ongoing investigation at this point. The President directed the White House to cooperate fully with the investigation, and as part of cooperating fully with the investigation, that means we're not going to be commenting on it while it is ongoing.

Q: But Rove has apparently commented, through his lawyer, that he was definitely involved.

McClellan: You're asking me to comment on an ongoing investigation.

Q: I'm saying, why did you stand there and say he was not involved?

McClellan: Again, while there is an ongoing investigation, I'm not going to be commenting on it, nor is --

Q: -- any remorse?

McClellan: -- nor is the White House, because the President wanted us to cooperate fully with the investigation, and that's what we're doing.

Q: That's not an answer.

Q: It's not an answer. And you were perfectly willing to comment from that podium while the investigation was going on, and try to clear Karl Rove. Why the double standard? Why were you willing to say Karl Rove was not involved when -- and talk at length about it, when the investigation was going on, and now that he's been caught red-handed, all of a sudden you've got a new line?

McClellan: No, I don't think it is the way you characterize it, as new, because I have said for quite some time that this is an ongoing investigation, and we're not going to get into discussing it while it's an ongoing investigation. I've really said all I'm going to say on it.

Q: But you did -- you did discuss it while it was an ongoing investigation. You stood there and told the American people Karl Rove wasn't involved.

McClellan: I've said all I'm going to say on it.

Keith Olberman gets it right, "To paraphrase Mr. Rove, liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers; conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared to ruin the career of one of the country’s spies tracking terrorist efforts to gain weapons of mass destruction -- for political gain.

And just a footnote on Judith Miller, the New York Times reporter eating chipped beef on toast in jail right now for not revealing her source for the story she never published, this article from last year makes it seem like a good many colleagues are popping champagne corks now that she's wearing an orange jumpsuit until October.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Beth Gill said...

Which proves that stupidity is actually illegal.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com