Friday, October 06, 2006

Hurricane Foley and more bad news

I thought I might be able to get paroled from having to post nearly everyday about the end of truth, science, decency, justice, freedom and democracy in this country. Before Hurricane (His-icane?) Foley grew from a 3 to a 5, not inches but category strengths, I thought the Democrats might, just might take back the House of Representatives but not the Senate. If that happened at least I would be able to convince myself that my little blog, my small voice in the woods, had at least a drop in the ocean impact on the Democrats winning. If the Democrats did not take back the House I would have gone happily into that goodnight. It looks like my worst fears will come true and I'll be forced to waste more time and energy ranting and raving into the vast internet and believe me it's vast.

Looks like unless Hillary and Bill Clinton, along with Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry and Al Gore open up a gay abortion clinic, before November 7, that caters to nuns and underage girls, I think the Democrats can't lose this one. The Senate might even fall the Democrats way. How is that possible? Because the American people might not understand things about National Intelligence Estimates or PDBs or what general asked for more troops and was fired or may buy that Condi Rice doesn't recall a briefing by CIA Director George Tenet on July 10, 2001 when he warned her that an al Qaeda attack was imminent. (Attorney General Ashcroft started flying charter jets after that briefing.) But they do understand a sex scandal involving predatory behavior, 16 year-old boys and cover-ups. That they get.

The Republican House leadership should get gold medals for the scandal decathlon. Sort of a variation on the five stages of grief. First there is the ignore the information event followed by the pretend it never happened and cover-up events. Then when the news breaks it's the I don't recall event followed by the throw everyone under the bus finale. I'd say a world-record for speed, execution and presentation by Republican leaders. People may not understand about how intelligence briefings work but they do have a strong visceral reaction when the Speaker of the House, the guy behind the vice-president in presidential succession, stands before cameras and gives excuses that sound more like Jake Blues than the guy two heartbeats away from the Oval Office.

Question: Mr. Speaker what did you know and when did you know it about COngressman Mark Foley?

Speaker Dennis Haster: "Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD"

So the good news is that the Democrats will take over the House. We know this because Vice-President Dick Cheney has recently said the Republicans will retain control of Congress and since his track record of correct predictions were "in their last throes" from the moment he started uttering them it just stands to reason. The bad news is I'm condemned to blog purgatory for a while longer. What a pity.

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

If the Democrats think it's enough to sit by and watch the Republicans fall apart, they may just discover what it's l1ke to be a Cubs fan watching their guys blow a 10 point lead in the 9th inning.

Remember we're dealing with a group that has the same willingness do to whatever it takes as al Qaeda and if it takes a nuclear exchange with North Korea or Iran to make us afraid enough to vote for child molesters, they will do it.

Buggergate isn't enough.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

I wouldn't be surprised if they orchestrate another faux terrorist incident caught-red-handed right before the elections to dissipate Hurricane Foley.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Some Demo-brasion to exFolyate the situation?

3:42 PM  
Blogger d.K. said...

Great post. Again, I hope you're right, but the Repugs are better and "fixing" elections than the Demos, so anything is still possible...

eg. George Allen is still favored to retain his seat dispite EVERYTHING...

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com