Wednesday, March 15, 2006

iPod, iPod, wherefore art thou iPod?


I'm particularly cranky today. Let me get you up to speed.

Last December I opened a new account at TD Waterhouse for crankybro 2. It just so happened that opening a new account came with a free Apple iPod Nano. Since I was going to do all the work for crankybro 2 and pick investments (up 10% in three months) and on top of that crankybro 2 has a video iPod and my birthday was coming up, it was agreed I should get the free Nano. Six to eight weeks for the Nano to reach my mailbox? No problem. I figure around mid-February I'll join the ranks of podders. In January I buy an iPod Nano protective case and get a sport armband for the pod as a present. They remain in their cases.

I know that things might not get sent exactly when they are supposed to, (I'm still waiting for a $20 rebate from Sandisk and probably will never see that one either) but I figured I'll look forward to looking in my mailbox around Valentine's Day. No iPod. This goes on daily and now we are in March.

A week ago I called TD Waterhouse and they explained to me some nonsense about even though I opened an account in mid-December the order to Apple didn't get sent in until January. Uh-huh. And then just to help things out they told me Apple then dropped the ball as they weren't able to provide the amount of iPod Nanos that TD Waterhouse needed. Uh-huh. Ok then let's go around the corner to the Apple store and buy one from the floor to ceiling stack of Nanos they have. We can't do that they tell me. Uh-huh. They said I'm on the list to get one and it should be within a couple of weeks. And I'm from FEMA and I'm here to help.

So the two week deadline is fast approaching and then I run across this headline in today's Chicago Tribune, "Free iPod? Don't always bank on it." The story was about someone who opened an account with Bank One, now Chase, last August and was still waiting for a lowly iPod Shuffle! It took the intervention of the Chicago Tribune to get her a credit for the $99. I see a letter to the Tribune in my future.

A week or so from now I'm either going to chain myself to a TD Waterhouse office or contact the Tribune. One way or another I'm getting my Nano.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, great rant!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Martwork said...

How about managing your sister's investments? I'll make you up a music CD and you'll have it via FedEx by tomorrow at noon!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Send me your investment cash. Make check out to Crankyboy.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Dude - you do know that "wherefore" means "why," don't you?

8:24 AM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

No. I write to the masses who also don't know what it means. Know what I mean?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

So when Juliet is standing right in front of Romeo and asks him "wherefore art thou Romeo?" you think she's asking where the hell he is? I'm absolutely stunned.

So does "therefore" mean "there" and "heretofore" mean "over here" and "before" mean "be?"

Un freakin' believable.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

I want to know . . . did you ever get your nano?

3:02 AM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Yes, I did get my nano and it has worked perfectly.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must have received your ipod from TD waterhouse. I submitted the same offer but cancelled when E*Trade called me to match the offer. I received the E*Trade ipod and a few days later, one from TD waterhouse.

Sorry, but I'm keeping both.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com