Thursday, October 20, 2005

I can't recall


Isn't it interesting that people who are routinely referred to as brilliant suddenly become Forrest Gump when it comes to remembering things in front of a grand jury? Judith "She Devil" Miller told the Traitor-gate grand jury she can't recall who her source was for the name "Valerie Plame" which she incorrectly wrote down as "Valerie Flame." If you read her embarrassing narrative last Sunday you'll see all the things she can't recall. Here's the guts of her convenient lack of memory:

"Mr. Fitzgerald asked me about another entry in my notebook, where I had written the words "Valerie Flame," clearly a reference to Ms. Plame. Mr. Fitzgerald wanted to know whether the entry was based on my conversations with Mr. Libby. I said I didn't think so. I said I believed the information came from another source, whom I could not recall.

Mr. Fitzgerald asked if I could recall discussing the Wilson-Plame connection with other sources. I said I had, though I could not recall any by name or when those conversations occurred."

Karl Rove, a.k.a. "Bush's Brain" also has a convenient lack of memory. For a guy who knows every county and precinct voting result in America since George Washington it's pure farce at this point.

White House adviser Karl Rove told the grand jury in the CIA leak case that I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney's chief of staff, may have told him that CIA operative Valerie Plame worked for the intelligence agency before her identity was revealed, a source familiar with Rove's account said yesterday.

In a talk that took place in the days before Plame's CIA employment was revealed in 2003, Rove and Libby discussed conversations they had had with reporters in which Plame and her marriage to Iraq war critic Joseph C. Wilson IV were raised, the source said. Rove told the grand jury the talk was confined to information the two men heard from reporters, the source said.

Rove has also testified that he also heard about Plame from someone else outside the White House, but could not recall who.

The account is the first time a person familiar with Rove's testimony has provided clues about where the deputy chief of staff learned about Plame, and confirmed that Rove and Libby were involved in a conversation about her before her identity became public. The disclosure seemed to further undermine the White House's contention early in the case that neither man was in any way involved in unmasking Plame.

I'm sure they'll all recall when they get pardoned.

BONUS POSTING: There is some good news today especially for golfers like me. Honey, about that new kitchen...

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Or you could be roasted slowly in the old kitchen. . . .

1:29 PM  
Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

I am a lawyer and, when we prepare witnesses for testimony, "I don't recall" is always suggested as the way out of a pickle. It is the default non-answer that cannot be contradicted later. Using it too much, however, erodes your credibility. Rove and Miller, who I am convinved were spawned from the same un-holy alien experiment, are overplaying the forgetfulness card.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Guess what? I'm a lawyer too. And I know the difference between "I don't remember" and "I don't recall." The fact is is Washington, especially with these self-proclaimed brilliant detail oriented photographic memory people, "I don't recall" really means "I recall but I don't want to say but if you show me an email or something like it then I will conveniently recall it." It amounts to a confession and saying "I don't recall" doesn't you can't be charged with perjury if the prosecutor thinks you can recall.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Cranky,

Perjury is almost never prosecuted and a prosecutor would have a tough time trying to contradict an "I don't remember."

Like I said before, however, is playing dumb too much destroys credibility. Judith Miller, the journalist who told all the b.s. about WMD's, is now all of a sudden forgetful about who she spoke to. Not credible at all. Same with the Pillsbury Rove Boy.

In any event, it's unfortunate that at the end of the day, these satan-worshippers are going to get away with murder.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com