Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Am I getting better or worse?


I don't know if I'm getting better or worse. I used to be a news junkie. I read four papers a day, (Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, New York Times and Wall Street Journal), along with internet papers (L.A. Times, Washington Post, Ha'aretz, Maariv, etc.). I monitored CNN and Fox News like I was waiting for breaking news that Osama had been caught. I tivo-ed Nightline, Meet The Press, This Week without David Brinkley and CNN Special Presentations. I'd watch a bit of Chris Matthews or Bill O'Lielly just to see the latest in professional ranting and how we were doing in the "War on Christmas.". In the car on my way to do errands I'd listen to Sean Hannity to see what an insane college dropout sounded like and what kind of spin he could put on things. During the day I'd listen to Air America radio via the internet. But things have changed.

I am disgusted by Tim Russert and Judith Miller and Bob Woodward and CNN. I no longer waste time reading the Trib since it mainly re-prints NYT wire feed. I no longer tivo Nightline or This Week with former Democratic boy "genius" George Steph-something or other. I refuse to listen to Sean Hannity or Rush or Bill O'Lielly. I will no longer let Chris Matthews darken my living room. I've had it.

Jon Stewart had it right when he appeared on Crossfire and told Tucker Carlson that he and the show were "hurting America." They are. Stop watching and listening to these con men and you won't miss it. They really don't debate anything. You learn nothing new. They only are a platform to repeat talking points. There is not an honest argument or an original thought between them. Nothing will be accomplished in a six minute segment except to keep you watching the "respectable" form of professional wrestling. Everyone has a character to play and they do it while getting rich. In short it's crap.

So good-bye Tucker Carlson, Kate O'Beirne, Peggy Noonan, Howard Fineman, Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin. I bid you adieu. I will not waste another brain cell on you. Hello Wife Swap, American Idol, Nanny 911, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report and "24." And if I ever have the need for childish programming I'll just watch "Miffy and Friends" with Cranky Jr. At least Miffy is longer than six minutes and you actually learn something.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all should give Ole Duke Boys a look see. Might a learn sumthin about livin. Especially that Daisy Mae. You got to get out more man.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Well I wondered how long it would take you to get to where I was 5 years ago.

The Mainstream Media have become another ring in the mainstream circus, along with the Federal Government and Corporate Religion. Any real opposition has been marginalized and used as a sideshow.

It's over - we lost.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Im right there with you Cranky. The newsbots recycle the same talking points over and over and, every time I watch the news, I feel dumber.

www.democracynow.org and www.antiwar.com are the only two news outlets that give you everything intelligent anymore. Oh yeah, and the Daily Curmudgeon too. :-)

3:13 PM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Just doing my part.

4:35 PM  
Blogger phinky said...

I watch Keith Olbermann everynight on MSNBC. He actually cuts through the b.s. and the talking points. Not bad for someone who started off as a sportscaster. Of course I stay up late for The Daily Show and the Colbert Report. It seems like the only thing I can tolerate on the boob tube is satire.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Yeah, Olbermann is good. A good writer. I usually catch his stuff on video clips on Crook and Liars.com. Most of it is his world's worst person so it's really a comentary on how bad Fox etc. have become so by way of MSNBC you are watching O'Lielly et al.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com