Friday, January 06, 2006

Civil liberties when you're civil

"I'm not here to practice democracy, I'm here to protect democracy."

--President George W. Bush?

Would it shock you to hear President W said this? I mean would it be a big leap from what he has said so far? Even before he was sworn in W said, "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." Then there is the most recent example of twisting Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death!" proclamation into "Take my liberties to protect my death!" In April, 2004, nearly three years after ordering secret spying on Americans without a court order W boldly lied to the country when he said, "Anytime you hear the United States government talking about wiretap, it requires -- a wiretap requires a court order. Nothing has changed, by the way. When we're talking about chasing down terrorists, we're talking about getting a court order before we do so." Turns out he had his fingers crossed behind his back. Now his position is different. At a recent press conference after the illegal program was disclosed by a number of troubled government whistleblowers W said, "Do I have the legal authority to do this? And the answer is, absolutely." No need for any hearings or investigations I guess. Case closed. Sounds almost identical to that great legal scholar Richard M. Nixon when he said, "When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal."

So no, W didn't say, "I'm not here to practice democracy, I'm here to protect democracy" but he might as well. According to one of my sources deep, deep inside the military industrial complex who desperately wants to get quoted in my blog this was said by some general somewhere. So it's not my sources' direct quote but its him quoting someone else. Either way Mr. Cog in the War Machine you have now been "quoted." You can now die happy. I'll of course die cranky.

BONUS POSTING: Every time I blog about this stuff I have to link to the movie trailers for V for Vendetta, here and here. Remember, people should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

BONUS POSTING II: Now it turns out the IRS was tracking political party affiliation in 20 states. I'm sure it was legal, just ask W.

2 Comments:

Blogger RR said...

This is exactly what we should expect when a no-experience, drunk prep-boy is elected to the highest office in the land.

W doesn't know anything about democracy... He's basing his presidency on 1950 westerns. Kick ass and takes names! That's all you have to do to win!

1:59 PM  
Blogger News from Mad Plato said...

Heil Bush! He knows what is best for us underlings and The Homeland! Victory! Democracy!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com