Monday, November 06, 2006

D-Day minus 1

I veer between giddiness and despair. Let me rephrase that. Most days I veer between giddiness and despair today amplify that by a 100 times. Election eve or as I like to refer to it as D-Day minus 1. Alternatively, America Held Hostage, Day 2125. So I've been watching all the polls and it is very good news for the Democrats. So here is where I swerve into despair territory. The polls were in our favor in 2000 and 2004 at least in the presidential elections. My thoughts are that I am increasingly worried that our election system is not broken, it's fixed. And when I say "fixed" I don't mean that in a good way. We'll know tomorrow starting when the east coast polls are closed. If all of a sudden the races fall the Republican way, especially in Maryland and Virginia, let alone Pennsylvania then you will have to beat me to Travelocity for a one-way ticket out of the Banana Republic of America.

In my college days I used to dismiss the conspiracy nuts and the wild-eyed types arguing that this country is really controlled by a small group of people. If Rick Santorum wins in Pennsylvania you can call me a nut too. If Mike DeWine wins in Ohio call me a conspiracy theorist too. That's my greatest fear. If any of that happens I won't just pack up the blog and go home, I'll pack up my home and go blog - from the Cayman Islands. In the words of Rhoda Morgenstern, "America, this is your last chance."

So I invite everyone over to my election command central tomorrow night. If things go well for the Democrats we can celebrate by popping the cork on a whole bunch of Mums. (Meet the Parents lovers you know what I mean.) If Santorum and/or DeWine win you all can help me pack up my things for shipping.

3 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

My party features Krug, Clos du Mesnil 1995, but you'll have to move fast to get here. My boat leaves for Dominica at high tide tomorrow.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to buy the food, or is it BYO, as it is on the train? I'm undecided Seals/Kirk, so you did a good job.

8:21 AM  
Blogger d.K. said...

I second that emotion.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com