Friday, June 17, 2005

Springtime for Hitler, Part II

The White House and Senate Republicans on Thursday assailed Sen. Richard Durbin, a Democrat from my home state of Illinois, for comparing American interrogators at Guantanamo Bay to Nazis, Soviet gulags and Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot.

Sen. Durbin said, "If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime - Pol Pot or others - that had no concern for human beings."

White House Spokesman Scott McClellan was of course shocked but he pulled himself together to say it was "beyond belief" to make such a comparison and that the remarks were "reprehensible." He then demanded Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Opus Dei) apologize for his remarks on the Senate floor May 19, 2005 during the judicial filibuster nonsense when he said:

"I mean, imagine, the rule has been in place for 214 years that this is the way we confirm judges. Broken by the other side two years ago, and the audacity of some members to stand up and say, how dare you break this rule. It’s the equivalent of Adolph Hitler in 1942 saying, "I’m in Paris. How dare you invade me. How dare you bomb my city? It’s mine."

Actually the White House and Scott McClellan didn't say a word about Santorum's Hitler reference as far as I know. I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that Ricky is a devoutly religious god-fearing Catholic conservative on their team but I can't prove it.

Let me say something pretty obvious. The Democrats aren't like the Nazis. Republicans aren't like the Nazis. Guantanimo Bay isn't like the Nazis. Abu Ghraib isn't like the Nazis. The Nazis were like the Nazis. If anything is sacred in this world no one should compare the Nazis or Hitler to anyone but the Nazis and Hitler. Durbin and Santorum included.

Except for my high school gym teacher, man was he a Nazi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com