Monday, August 22, 2005

Heart of Darkness

I land at West Palm Beach airport with Cranky's wife and Cranky Jr. in tow expecting to step outside into the sweet Florida air that calls like a siren song to us northerners. That and no state taxes, bankruptcy laws that let you keep your mansion, Hope diamond sized engagement rings and being able to conceal carry your guns into the local Winn-Dixie might also play a factor. The automatic doors slide open and I walk out into.....

the jungles of Southeast Asia. Feels like Borneo. Wow. It's like walking into a sauna in the middle of a desert on the surface of the sun while someone wraps you in hot towels. No wonder my round trip airfare was $186.00. Couldn't figure out why I was sharing my flight with a pack of iguanas. By the time I got the car I needed two changes of clothes and someone to squeegee me.

But I was here in God's country. Where churches and golf courses sit side by side. Driving around you can pick up "This oxycontin is giving me a Rush Limbaugh"on four, yes four, radio stations. After a while I think the Helsinki Syndrome kicked in as I found myself agreeing with the philosophy that more guns and more Jesus is the answer to everything.

Jupiter Island is next door but the Curmudgeon's efforts to see the insanely rich people there failed only due to a wall the Israelis would be proud of and a private militia the Iraqis would be proud of which leads me to a short blogging detour...

The Washington Post reports Shiite and Kurdish militias, often operating as part of Iraqi government security forces, have carried out a wave of abductions, assassinations and other acts of intimidation, consolidating their control over territory across northern and southern Iraq and deepening the country's divide along ethnic and sectarian lines, according to political leaders, families of the victims, human rights activists and Iraqi officials.

Basra, Iraq's second-largest city, has witnessed dozens of assassinations, claiming members of the former ruling Baath Party, Sunni political leaders and officials of competing Shiite parties. Many have been carried out by uniformed men in police vehicles, according to political leaders and families of the victims, with some of the bullet-riddled bodies dumped at night in a trash-strewn parcel known as The Lot.

Sen. George Allen, a 2008 Republican presidential hopeful, when asked about this on This Week without David Brinkley pooh-poohed the main stream media and Democratic "negativity"and said, "[Y]ou have that even in our United States. We have local police, we have state police, and you have the FBI." Is Allen saying Iraq isn't so bad or the U.S. is no better? Hard to read the mind of a nut.

After a long day in the Heart of Darkness, I read Cranky Jr. a sweet bedtime story. It's called, Help! Mom! There are Liberals under my bed. The charming little book gets the hate mongering and propaganda started early teaching "young children the valuable lessons of conservatism. Written in simple text, readers can follow along with Tommy and Lou as they open a lemonade stand to earn money for a swing set. But when liberals start demanding that Tommy and Lou pay half their money in taxes, take down their picture of Jesus, and serve broccoli with every glass of lemonade, the young brothers experience the downside to living in Liberaland."

Two more days to go. Don't know how the Curmudgeon will make it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Whatta wimp!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

The man is right - if you can't take the heat, go to Canada. Being behind enemy lines in a remote jungle outpost is for the committed (and those who should be)

Admiral Fogg
Democrat Navy

11:55 AM  
Blogger phinky said...

If you think Palm Beach County is bad, go to Jacksonville. Most of the city council attends First Baptist Church downtown. This is the church whose minister, who was a former president of the Southern Baptist Convention, called Mohamed a "demon-possessed pedophile" And this is a city of about 1 million people. You'd think they would have somewhere else to go.
Then Jacksonville couldn't figure out why everyone laughed when they hosted the Super Bowl.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Kim Adam and i would like to show you my personal experience with Oxycontin.

I have taken for 3 years. I am 23 years old. I think it is the best pain killer there is. Although it's coming very abused, I think that it is a very powerful reliever and that more doctors should look into it for pain relief.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
mild dependency and constipation

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Kim Adam

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com