Friday, April 07, 2006

I. Judas Libby

New documents reveal that a member of the inner circle was specifically authorized to leak information which brought down his leader. Lewis Libby? No. Judas. Although there are probably enough similarites for the followers of Nostradamus to make for a book or two.

Judas Iscariot, (who knew he had a last name?) history's pre-eminent betrayer (not a lot of Judas or Benedicts in pre-school) is being described as a good guy who was the only apostle who understood Jesus and his desire to shed his earthly body. It is suggested that Jesus directed Judas to "leak" and betray him so as to release his trapped spirit.

I. Lewis Libby has testified under oath (under oath, like means anything to these people) that Vice President Cheney told him to leak classified parts of the National Intelligence Estimate, not the parts that argued against the administration's views, and that Cheney told Libby that President Bush specifically autorized Libby to have breakfast with Judith Miller and leak the NIE to her. It makes sense that a government that selectively collects intelligence, throwing out the info that doesn't fit into their world view, would also leak selectively filtering out any remaining doubts about Saddam's pursuit of nuclear weapons. The White House argues that the President can declassify anything as long as he says so. Nice to see our government being run like divorces in India where the husband only has to say I divorce you three times in their sleep for it to happen. I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you. I declassify, I declassify, I declassify.

Whatever happens with Judas Libby we already know that anything this adminstration says from a publicly from a podium or privately to The New York Times, a paper they publicly have contempt for while privately leaking to them, is not to be believed. I'll leave the Jesus/Bush/Judas/Libby parallels to those smarter and more grounded in religious comparisons than me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Iscariot isn't a last name - it likely derives from a type of dagger locally called a Sicari. Assassins who carried these things were called sicarii by the romans - who were getting stabbed by them - and of course the Hebrew word for those who carry them is Sicariot. The people who wrote the canonical gospels didn't speak or read Hebrew and gave us iscariot instead. Judas (Yehudi) Iscariot really means the Jew with the knife.

I think this means that he was created as a character, and I think a fictional one, we're not expected to like and who is designed to place more blame for Jesus' demise on the Jews.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Actually his last name was "Smith" but the translation is "Iscariot."

2:51 PM  
Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

Hmmm... I didn't know that.

6:28 PM  
Blogger phinky said...

When I read Dante's Inferno in high school and college, I thought Judas got a raw deal being in the inner most circle of Hell. I asked why was Judas being punished for doing God's Will. I was told time after time that Jesus's crucifixition was part of God's plan to save humanity from sin. Judas did help put God's plan into action betraying Jesus.

I really didn't get a good answer why Judas was being punished for doing God's work.

8:13 PM  
Blogger phinky said...

I also ask for absolution for spelling "crucifixition" wrong. Please forgive me.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com