Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why I should be senate minority leader

I was going to entitle this post, "Why Democrats Lose Elections," or "The Opposition Party Means Just That" but you get the point. On a night where primary votes are being tallied around the country, places like Rhode Island may lock in a U.S. Senate for the Democrats if the sitting Republican senator loses his primary run. That's good news if it happens but then I see a story that makes me wonder if Democrats know how to be an opposition party especially in an election year.

Representative John Boehner of Ohio, the Republican majority leader, wondered aloud at a news conference “whether Democrats are more interested in protecting the terrorists than protecting the American people.” This wasn't some nutjob backbencher who forgot to take their antipsychotic medication this was the U.S. Senate's Majority Leader. The majority being Republicans. I won't even waste time arguing about Boehner's statement because no one is really interested in my opinion and almost no one will hear it and I was always told not to argue with crazy people. It makes them look sane and you insane. But the Senate minority leader, that would be Democrat Harry Reid, is someone who's opinion is asked for and people will hear him and he said the following about Boehner's claim that Democrats want to pamper Osama bin laden with hot stone massages and manicures:

Mr. Reid said he had “great respect for Leader Boehner... He’s a good guy...I like him. But haven’t we moved beyond that? Haven’t we moved beyond, the Republicans are more religious than Democrats? Haven’t we moved beyond the fact that Republicans are trying to save us from the terrorists and Democrats aren’t? I think we’ve moved beyond that.”

Not what I'd call a full-throated response. And since Boehner basically said Democrats were interested in full-throating bin Laden I thought something more than "[Boehner's] a good guy," was in order. Guess I'm wrong. The Republicans are going to spend $50 million in the next 60 days in the nastiest campaign you've ever seen. There are already ads coming out claiming that you will die if you don't vote Republican. Until the Democrats stop calling the guy who just kicked them in the nuts a "good guy" they won't convince people they can be as tough and dirty and vicious as they need to be to defeat the likes of John Boehner and Osama bin Laden. Who wants to be my campaign manager?

3 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'm afraid even Joseph Goebbels has been outclassed by the Republicans

8:47 AM  
Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

I'll be your campaign manager if you let me draft your policy re: the Middle East. :-)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Sure you can run policy for the Middle East. Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia...That middle east. O.k.?

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com