Thursday, November 30, 2006

Brrrrrrrrr

The temperature dropped nearly thirty degrees from one day to next here but that's Chicago weather for you. The news is that when I wake up on Friday morning there will be around ten inches of snow on the ground. Maybe more. I don't know if there is gas and oil in the snowblower or whether it will even start. The shovel always works but my wife, Cranky's Wife, who recently brought her blog back to life ala Frankenstein gets cranky when I shove her out the door to shovel. A friend of mine wanted to go to the grocery store to get milk and he couldn't get into the parking lot. Apparently there was a convergence of Hurricane Katrina-like fear and suburbanites who obviously have no food in their house. He went home sans milk.

Why do I live here again? I have to worry about getting my car out of the driveway in the a.m. and then have to plow through mountains of snow when I come home if I'm lucky enough to get a start out of the blower. I have to wear smartwool socks to bed and buy rock salt. I have to scrap frozen ice off my car at the train station lot and I'm sure my furnace will fail to work around bedtime on the coldest night of the year. The people who settled Chicago back in the good old days must have done so in springtime.

So now I lay me down to sleep. A pair of smartwool socks on my feet. If I die before I wake. At least Hell will be warmer than Chicago for goodness sake.

5 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Ahhhhhhhhh

83°
partly sunny

Humidity: 62
Pressure: 30.16 in.
Winds: S at 12 mph

The oil is mixed with the gas - don't forget!

12:13 PM  
Blogger d.K. said...

As a former Wisconsinite from the Minneapolis area, I can tell you that there are worse places, winter-wise, than the Chicago area in this country... :) Enjoy the snow!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Sunny and a brisk 75 degrees in the City of Angels. :-)

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flash News - Rumor has it that Crankyboy is laid up with a bad back after shoveling heavy snow because the old snow blower didn't like having double the recommended oil put in it.
Reports suggest that it was sabotaged by Republican sympathizers

4:04 PM  
Blogger Cranky's Wife said...

FRANKENSTEIN?????????????

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com