Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Eight is not enough

This may state the obvious but I think we've reached a tipping point where now there are more people in the world who are insane than sane. I'm watching Nightline and the story about the Quiverfull movement made me realize there are more of "them" than us. The "them" are nuts, not Christians although the Quiverfull people are Christians. This group believes that all forms of contraception, birth control and any family planning goes against God's plan. They believe you should have as many children as the Lord gives you. The Carpenter family from Nashville has eight kids ages one to 15, Nightline tells us. The mother, looking a bit shell-shocked, thinks this is normal and how God intended it to be. When asked if having so many kids is hard on her body and is she concerned about her health, the human baby factory said, "God designed us to have chidren and thankfully we do have good doctors out there for things that come up."

Grandma publishes some magazine and has been advocating this perpetual reproduction theory for years. When asked, "What's wrong with family planning, birth control, natural birth control?" she smiles and answers, "When you stop and think about it it's not natural because we have to go against the way that God designed our bodies. He designed them to be fruitful. So if a couple don't want to have [children] they have to do something, they've got to do something to their body so it doesn't work the way God planned it." Didn't God create man and didn't man create condoms and Planned Parenthood?

How are you going to send 8 or 10 kids to college daddy quiver? What a surprise, he's pursuing and considering an alternative sending them off to college at age 18. And what if one of his kids at age 18 wants to go to college? If God calls them into a profession that requires a degree he'll support it. I wonder what phone company God uses to call people. Daddy quiver would rather his sons wake up at age 21 or 22 with money in their pocket ready to buy a home and take on a family." Translation: he wants the human rabbit breeding to get going for his sons as soon as they can. And what about his daughters? Daddy quiver says, "In no way will we hastely and readily and quickly send our daughters off to State U. college campus." And what about a profession for the daughters, you know like becoming a doctor or lawyer which requires a college degree, a degree you'ld support for your sons? "I don't have all the answers on that John, but I do know this - I think there is incredible noblity, you know, I think a woman's highest calling is motherhood...we want to do everything we can in our home to ready our daughters to be moms." I'm sure they're doing a great job at that. At least they don't wear burhkas, at least not yet.

Part two of the Nightline report was about the role of fathers in the family. "I think a dad ought to be the primary instiller of wisdom and ought to be teaching his sons leadership," says daddy quiver. Translation: I guess someone has to be in charge and it might as well be me. Mommy quiver was asked, "What's your role in this family?" Quivering, mommy quiver said, "Hopefully to be nurturing and loving and submissive to my husband." Hey wait, maybe this movement isn't all that bad after all. Translation: When I want your opinion I'll give it to you my wife.

It's a small story but God called me to blog about it. Something about Nightline's segment just hit me that somewhere along the way we passed some point and now more than 50% of the people on the planet are truly insane. It's going to get harder and harder to avoid these people and in fact they are becoming more and more in charge of things. I'm pretty sure I'm in the non-insane group and I can prove it - I only have two kids.

6 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I think that the natural state of the human mind is insanity. We have to be trained and educated in sanity, else we talk to invisible spirits that live in rocks, we hear voices, we think there's a plan for the universe and we vote Republican.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Cranky's Wife said...

I hate to break it to you but submissive I am not.

And by the way, God has spoken to me - and he is telling me that my body has had enough!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Ellen Beth Gill said...

The marriage of the Christian right and the republican corporationists creats the solutions to all their economic issues: they'll provide more soldiers for Bush's endless wars.

1:51 PM  
Blogger mrsleep said...

My wife told me years ago, that if I wanted to continue conjugal activity, I had better put blanks in my gun.

Better to shoot blanks than never visit the firing range again. Let's see, God didn't invent clothes, television, cars, the internet, beer cans, bottles, etc.

That would mean we would still live in caves, wear animal skins, and eat what we can gather or kill.

God didn't invent doctors neither.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Right you are and yet among the few inventions the Godnazis have never opposed are weapons of destruction.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talked to both of your kids. Both said you are crazy. Also want an increase allowance. (don't underestimate the cognitive ability of babies).

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com