Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Meet the new loon, same as the old loon

Goodbye 2006, hello 2007. The more things change the more things remain the same. Of course I'm talking about the escaped mental patient Pat Robertson. He's provided more than a few blog entries for me as his verbal diarrhea is divinely delusional. Take a look here, here, here, here, here and here for a sample of Robertson's contribution to the world of psychosis. So what a surprise to find that my first post of 2007 is about Pat Robertson's latest conversation with God who loves us all but seems to like a good disaster.

Today Robertson said that God has told him that a terrorist attack on the United States would cause a "mass killing" in late 2007. "I'm not necessarily saying it's going to be nuclear," he told his audience on the "The 700 Club" broadcasted on the Christian Broadcasting Network. "The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that." Robertson said God told him about the impending tragedy during a recent prayer retreat. God also said, he claims, that major cities and possibly millions of people will be affected by the attack. In 2005, Robertson predicted that Bush would have victory after victory in his second term and said Social Security reform proposals would be approved. We all know how that ended up. In May, Robertson said God told him that storms and possibly a tsunami were to crash into America's coastline in 2006. Even though the U.S. was not hit with a tsunami, Robertson on Tuesday cited last spring's heavy rains and flooding in New England as partly fulfilling the prediction. "I have a relatively good track record," he said. "Sometimes I miss."

"Sometimes I miss?" I thought these predictions comes from the head honcho, the big cheese, the king of kings not Robertson. So when he says, "Sometimes I miss," what he's really saying is it's the voices in his head that give him these visions of death and destruction, not a voice from the sky. And why is it that the voices, whether divine or deraigned, never predict peace on earth or mass happiness rather than "mass killings?' Probably because there's more money in fear than hope.

Once again I submit that if Robertson were in dirty clothes and saying this nonsense while wandering the streets he would be involuntarily locked-up in a mental ward. As it is, he is a super-rich leader of millions of Evangelical Christians and has real political influence. I don't know which is scarier - the fact that Robertson says the stuff he says or that millions of people believe it. Either way I'm sure I have a quarter of my blog posts for 2007 already written. Their just rattling around Robertson's skull waiting to escape. You know, like a mental patient.

5 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

If he's insane, he's still in possession of enough of his marbles to make sleazy deals with Mobutu Seze Seco using funds skimmed from his bogus charities and sane enough to put together mining deals in Liberia.

The man is really beyond ordinary epithets - I can't find a word nasty enough to describe him thoroughly.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

"The man is really beyond ordinary epithets - I can't find a word nasty enough to describe him thoroughly."

That's what they say about me.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

I know whatcha mean, Captain. "Big Old Dumb Poopyhead" doesn't quite cut it for Robertson...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Ellen Beth Gill said...

I agree and add that some day Americans have to stop being so susceptible to this stuff and relegate guys like Pat to the lonely corner where he belongs.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Maybe a lonely corner in a penitentiary - he's a thief who steals from the poor and gives to African dictators.

But I don't think ol' Cranky is beyond ordinary epithets at all. . .

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com