Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Darn, I don't get to quit just yet

There is good news and bad news if the Republicans retain control of both houses of congress this November. The bad news is, that the Republicans retain control. Which in turn means the country will be further and solidly dragged into the new Dark Ages perhaps never to return to its past glory. The shining city on the hill that Reagan spoke about will become the mud-covered hellhole of lies, smears and gulags for those deemed traitors. The good news is that I would quit wasting my time yelling in the wilderness of the blogosphere. I also was considering ending this aggravating and monumental waste of time and energy (surprisingly my latest blood pressure and cholesterol numbers were good!) if the flag burning amendment to the U.S. Constitution passed the Senate. Fortunately, (unfortunately?) it didn't pass. But I fear that while I might make it through the November elections it really doesn't matter anymore. The nation is led by, in the words of Jon Stewart, "insane jackasses."

I know they only care about their own re-election and nothing else. (Getting them and their staffs and spouses and friends and family rich along the way is also a must.) But I really thought that on the big issues, protecting the U.S. Constitution that Democrats would stand up and suffer the slings and arrows of dishonest and craven patriot-baitors to vote against taking a thread out of the Bill of Rights thus starting the whole unraveling process. (Three Senate Republicans voted against it so I give them a big hat tip.) In the mid-1960s after voting for the Civil Rights Act a southern Democrat said, "I probably just voted myself out of office." He was right. He was voted out of office. But he was also right to vote for the Civil Rights Act. That type of selflessness is dead in Congress. It's only about getting enough votes to remain in office.

I have fourteen reasons to hang it up. To stop wasting my time defending Democratic principles and ridiculing the Republican theocracy that is taking over our country. They are as follows:

1. Harry Reid (D-NV)
2. Dianne Fienstein (D-CA)
3. Evan Bayh (D-IN)
4. Max Baucus (D-MT)
5. Mark Dayton (D-MN)
6. Mary Landrieu (D-LA)
7. Tim Johnson (D-SD)
8. Blanche Lincoln (D-AR)
9. Bill Nelson (D-FL)
10. Ben Nelson (D-NE)
11. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
12. Ken Salazar (D-CO)
13. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)
14. Robert Menendez (D-NJ)

These are the fourteen Senate Democrats who voted to alter the Bill of Rights, the First Amendment, to protect against something that has the highest form of protection - political speech. Who the hell are these "geniuses" compared to Jefferson and Hamilton and Franklin? Who made them boss? We did. Democrats. We raised money or donated money. We rang doorbells and stuffed envelopes. We handed out flyers and put up lawn signs. What's the point? If they don't defend the U.S. Constitution why should I defend them? Why should I lift a finger or pull a lever to put them in a position to vote to, for the first time in U.S. history, take away a Constitutional right by amending the Constitution. What other "insane jackass" laws or amendments are they going to vote for in the future?

So I have the first fourteen reasons to stop the insanity here on my blog. I just need a couple more to break the Curmudgeon's back.

4 Comments:

Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

It's Dems like that who make you wonder what the real difference is between the parties.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'm disgusted with Bill Nelson and I've let him know, but you have to remember that this state strongly favors stifling protest and very few politicians are going to vote their conscience or even vote to uphold the law if it means risking their career. You have to remember too, that Katherine Harris is the only alternative and he probably knew the bill wouldn't pass.

Ultimately the blame lies with the American people, who don't vote, don't give a shit, are stupid as hell and are still reacting to a couple of publicity stunts from 1967.

Democracy isn't going to survive in a land of stupid angry cowards so you'd mught as well make up your mind that it's over.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

My only hope is that, for the first time, a real third party can assert itself, one made up of the disaffected democrats, progressives, and (gasp) real republicans (go with me on this).

11:06 PM  
Blogger Odysseus said...

yeah, I can see it now: Jesse (The Body) Ventura for President. Or McCain/Leiberman.

You're right of course, though, but I think the idea will get twisted into the status quo before it's done.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com