Monday, July 03, 2006

Remember our Freedoms?

"A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight, restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt. If the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning back the principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are at stake,"

-- Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to John Taylor, June 4, 1798.

A huge asteroid whizzed by Earth early Monday, passing about 269,000 miles from the planet's surface -- slightly farther away than the moon. The asteroid is estimated to be as wide as a half-mile based on its brightness. Someday another asteroid might hit the Earth like one did 65 million years ago and killed nearly every living thing on the planet but in the meantime we have to deal with a Republican asteroid that has hit the Earth. It may yet destroy every living thing on the planet but in the meantime it has done a good job of blotting out the U.S. Constitution, democracy and reason just as an impact cloud would blot out the sun for a 1,000 years. The only thing left to do is laugh rather than cry that flag burning and gay marriage amendments are the legislation being offered by those who are more concerned about overseeing Terry Schiavo's end of life care rather than overseeing the lack of care the Bush mafia gives to the U.S. Constitution.

I like July 4th. It's fun to barbeque and play golf but it's also about remembering our freedoms. I just hope I never ask my fellow barbequers or golf partners, "hey, remember our freedoms? I don't." Sadly, if Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Gonzales and all the other capos and crew get their way I'll be asking that question (assuming I'm not in Gitmo) very soon.

Happy 4th of July. Enjoy your freedoms while you still can.

3 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

This year I'm not putting out the flag. Somehow that seems more like desecration than anything else. I'm sure it will be noticed and someone will comment on my lack of patriotism, but somehow they won't notice the desecration of the constitution and the principles behind our republic.

Just the other day someone laughed at my description of Jefferson as a liberal. And people wonder why I sometimes carry a gun.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Crankyboy said...

Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. -Thomas Jefferson, 1787.

Tell him that one and I'm sure he'll call Jefferson an anarchist or communist or an anarchist communist.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

I had the freedom to stand outside my house last night armed with a garden hose and a baseball bat whilst my unemployed neighbor thugs exercised their right to drunkenly aim Roman Candles at my motorcycle. (I was just waiting for a spark to hit the gas cans that were sitting right next to my bike, which was, incidently, parked in my very own garage...)

I don't own a flag. I'd like to, but the neighbors stole my doorknocker a few years ago. What would they do if I put a flag out there? If they're willing to steal a doorknocker for gosh sakes...

Where did my neighbors learn such outstanding morals? Where did they learn to take responsibility for their actions? Well, if Dick Cheney can shoot someone in the face and get away with it...

Grrrr.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.thedailycurmudgeon.blogspot.com